William G. MacDonald B.A., LL.B., LL.M.
Bill was born and raised in Sarnia, Ontario. He attended the University of Toronto, St. Michael’s College graduating with a B.A. in 1973. He graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School, York University with an LL.B in 1976. After articles with the law firm of Goodman & Carr in Toronto, he was called to the Bar of Ontario on April 14th, 1978. He later completed a Masters of Law Degree in International Business Law at Osgoode Hall Law School, York University in 1992.
Bill carried on the practice of law in Toronto from 1978 until 1989 first in private practice in Don Mills until 1981 and then as corporate counsel with Philips Electronics Ltd until September 1989 when he returned to private practice joining the law firm of Stewart, Mitchell & Macklin in Cobourg. He remained with that firm until August 1994 when he opened his own offices. In 2004 he acquired the Port Hope law practice of Gordon C. Kelly, Q.C. and maintained both Port Hope and Cobourg law offices until amalgamating them in Cobourg in the fall of 2006. In 2007, he took over the residential real estate practice of Helen J. Charette with whom he joined in partnership in January 2014.
Bill’s legal career has been extensive and varied. His solicitor’s work has included:
- Residential and commercial real estate
- Commercial and residential mortgages including mortgage collections
- Subdivision and condominium development
- Commercial leases
- Municipal law
- Wills and estates
- Employment law including wrongful dismissal and other personnel issues
- Small business development including sole proprietorships, partnerships, joint ventures, and corporations
- Various commercial sales and securitization documentation
- Corporation maintenance work
- Corporate reorganizations
- Sales and purchases of businesses
- Incorporation and organization of non-profit companies and charities
- “High tech” matters including licence agreements, “O.E.M.” manufacturing and supply agreements, government defence procurement agreements, computer hardware, software and maintenance agreements
- Off-shore product acquisitions and sales
- Family, estate and civil litigation – [Reported Decisions: Short v. R., 25 O.R. (3d), p. 475; Catherwood v. Young Estate, 27 O.R. (3d), p.63 and The Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation for the Diocese of Peterborough v. Cobourg, (Town), O.R. (3d), 187.]
Bill and his wife, Jane, reside in Cobourg and are active in the community. Bill is a member of the Cobourg Rotary Club and served as its President from 2010 to 2011. He is a Past President of the Northumberland County Law Association. He is a director or past director of:
- The Children’s Aid Society of Northumberland,
- Community Living – West Northumberland,
- The Roman Catholic Peterborough Diocese Good Shepherd Foundation Inc.,
- The Clay Elliott Scholarship Foundation
- The Diocesan Finance Council for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Peterborough
- Cobourg Public Library Board
- Cobourg & District Library Foundation
For 10 years, Bill wrote a legal column for Watershed Magazine, a quarterly publication serving the Northumberland and Quinte areas. He is interested in all sports and used to play competitive hockey in the winter and continues to play not so competitive golf in the summer. He and his wife enjoy travel as well as visiting their grown children in Montreal and Toronto.
Whether you are buying, selling or financing we will be there to advise you, protect you and complete your real estate transaction.
Wills & Estates
We ensure that your estate planning needs are met with a properly written Will and Powers of Attorney. Ensure the legacy you want.
Corporate & Commercial Law
Businesses trust MacDonald, Charette & Associates for expert legal advice crucial to start, buy, or sell a business.
Contact Us Today
We are committed to providing timely, personalized and expert service. We take a client focused approach in handling your legal issues.